What Causes Cysts?
There are several common causes of cysts. You may develop a cyst because of:
What Types of Cysts Are There?
Some types of cysts included:
- Epidermal inclusion cysts, caused by clogged sebaceous glands/hair follicles
- Pilar cysts, firm bumps under the skin typically found on the scalp
- Pilomatricoma, small hard bumps below the skin
- Ganglion cysts, a swollen bump found on a tendon, usually on the hands or wrists
- Dermoid cysts, which are usually present at birth
- Cystic acne, a more severe type of acne
How Can I Prevent Cysts?
Because most preventable cysts form due to clogged oil glands or hair follicles, an appropriate hygiene and skincare routine can help you to prevent cysts. This may include an exfoliating routine, using a recommended cleanser, or acne treatment. Your dermatologist will recommend at-home skincare that is suited to your skin type and can help you prevent cysts from forming.
Why Treat Cysts?
Cysts can continue to grow if left untreated or cause uncomfortable symptoms at any size. You may want to treat a cyst because it is:
- Large or growing
- In a sensitive area
How Can I Treat Cysts?
Depending on the type of cyst you have, your dermatologist may recommend one of several different treatment options. The most common include:
- Draining the cyst (lancing)
- Cortisone injections
- Surgically removing the cyst
Schedule an Appointment
If you have a painful, irritating, or growing cyst, do not delay treatment. Our board-certified dermatologists can help treat your cyst through an effective yet simple solution that is best suited to you.
To schedule an appointment at Arlington Dermatology, please call our office or request an appointment online.